Thursday, September 22, 2016

This Week in Room 6: Mixing Colours

This week, my grade one students have been learning about the primary and secondary colours. We completed this painting project today where they mixed the colours using their hands - messy, but fun!
I first had them tell me what colour they wanted to create and then tell me what two colours we would need to paint their hands in order to make that colour. Once they had both of their primary colour prints, they rubbed their hands together to create their secondary colour!
Because the idea of having 21 grade one kids painting their hands all at the same time terrified me, I had the kids working on other activities while I took small groups to do their pictures. I learned last year that when painting, small groups > large groups ha ha.

The kids absolutely loved the messiness and getting to see the colour change on their hands. A very HANDS ON approach to teaching this concept :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment