Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Throwback #1 - Resolutions

Okay - I think I now understand the blogging/teaching/prepping/marking/life balance struggle. I guess I'll just have to backtrack and do a few throwbacks to some of the things that have been going on in Room 6!

First, I'll start by going back to January. Agh, January! Oops, that's waaaaay gone (it feels like this was only a few months ago - it's crazy to think it's already mid-May!!)

All of my division 2 students (grades 4-6) were a part of this New Year's Resolution board! The theme for this lesson was "start the new year on the right foot". Each student received a shoe template and were asked to make a New Year's Resolution.
Here was the completed board! I created some hills, roads and printed off some little signs and glued them to wooden sticks to pull it all together!
Before doing this, we reviewed S.M.A.R.T goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely) and why people make New Year's Resolutions. We discussed how people achieve their goals as well as reasons that many are unable or give up. We do goal setting as a school, focusing on academic goals, so I asked them to work on a more personal goal - something that was completely unrelated to school. After brainstorming a few ideas, the kids were on their way!
They had some really thoughtful (and interesting) goals! Turns out a lot of my students are nail biters (ha ha).
This shoe template was found on google. I asked the kids to come up with a symbol or logo that represented their resolution to go inside the circle.
 By the time I did this activity with all of the grade 4-6 students, our shoe trail was quite long.
I made a resolution with the students to get more rest. 5 months in and I'm still tired 😂
#endoftheyearteachertired

0 comments:

Post a Comment